Saturday, March 29, 2014

To: My Panel Plagued Home

I used to live in a cave.  Or a dungeon.  Or a house built circa 1984.  Apparently, these could all be considered synonymous.  It seems the trend of that time was PANELING.  And let me tell you, the folks who built our home knocked it out of the park.  Paneling and light stained wood owned my home.  And, not in a sweet “doesn’t this remind you of your grandmother’s home” kind of way. . . It was more of a “paneling is the new black” kind of way.  (And who decorates home walls with black?!  No one.  Case in point.) 

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a grotesque amount, but it felt like I was in a log cabin sans the mountains and snow out the window.  No, all I see when I look out our windows are other homes, manicured yards, paved roads, and other signs of suburbia.  No ski slopes or pioneers.  Hence, the log cabin (paneling) needed to go . . . and by “go”, I really mean: BE PAINTED. 

Thus, our home’s evolution began.  And, like pulling a loose thread from your favorite shirt’s hem that you think will only be a measly inch or two, this project just kept going, and going, and going. 

“Let’s just start with the living room,” I said.  “Okay, now the kitchen HAS to be painted, too.”  That was two months later.  And finally, just a shy five months after that, “I’m painting the game room wainscoting.  And then I’ll be done.” 

Mark my words, folks.  This house project is the last of my attempt to weasel paneling/oak stained wood out of my home.  All the remnants can stay.  You win, guest bathroom cabinets.  I wash my hands of you, laundry room.  Because I can handle the paneling in small doses, a sliver here or a sliver there gives our house some character or charm, if you will.  But (hallelujah) it is no longer our home’s identity.  Our home is no longer a victim to the 80s, and I think I can sometimes hear it whisper “thank you” . . . or maybe it’s just humming an old Cyndi Lauper tune. 


All that to say, here’s a quick gallery of some before and after pictures.  This is not a step by step blog or a ‘how to’ . . . heaven knows I wouldn’t know where to begin on that venture.  I did paint everything myself (except the main living room paneling), but I did it out of sheer desperation, which is not an easy lesson to pass along.  Suffice it to say, if you don’t like something in your home – paint it.  You can’t mess it up, because if you do, you can just start over.  Reference that darn thread again. . .

Photo Disclaimer:  I'm not too great at taking "Before & After" photos, so a lot of these are just random pictures, but you'll get the idea. 


The Living Room (aka The Paneling Mecca):








The Kitchen Cabinets (aka The Kitchen Cave): 









The Playroom (aka The Saloon):








 So, Home, I hope you enjoy your new coats of paint.  Consider it a little concealer (something I never leave the home without) - it brightens you up and doesn't make people tired just by looking at you. I'd say that's a win-win.

From: Paige


No comments:

Post a Comment