Thursday, March 6, 2014

To: Austen Addicts



Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
Written:  January 19, 2014 
(Book Review #1)

Let me start off by saying, I am a sucker for perusing the new arrivals and highest rated books on Amazon or Goodreads, reading their reviews, downloading the sample, forming my opinion, then moving on . . . (I have the same guilty pleasure with movie trailers, but that is a different story).  This is my methodical approach for building my ever-evolving and always growing “Must Read List”.  So when I found my Amazon account with a bit of gift-card credit (thanks to my recent birthday and Christmas), I decided to revisit the Edenbrooke page, a debut novel by Julianne Donaldson.  I had read the summary of this book many times as my trusty friend, Amazon, had recommended it to me on multiple occasions, but the $8.99 price tag always held me back.  However, I finally found myself “1-click purchasing” this book now that I came armed with the aforementioned credit. 5 Star Average?  Check.  Over 600 reviews?  Check.  Deliver to Paige’s Kindle?  You bet.

My initial hesitance to the book (beyond the hefty price tag) was the time period – the Regency Era.  The author’s bio described herself as a Jane Austen addict, and I feared her modern depiction of the time would not hold a candle to the works of Austen.  Austen is deemed one of the most popular English novelist of the genre, so I couldn’t fathom why one would want to have her novels held up to the light next to Austen’s.  However, I was quickly surprised to find that Mrs. Donaldson was not competing with the likes of Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility, but merely expounding the era to a 21st century reader (consumers of Twitter, Facebook posts, People magazine, etc.).

Spiritually speaking, I felt like I was reading The Message version of the Bible.  The context had not changed, the characters endured the same experiences, and the ultimate message of the era was not compromised, but it was undoubtedly easier to comprehend.  Like the writers of The Message understand about the Bible, Julianne Donaldson knows about Austen – reading her work is not a walk in the park.  One must be thoroughly familiar with social customs of the early 1800s, regency era diction, and norms of the landed gentry to be fully immersed in her plots.  Julianne simply translates this magical time period for our contemporary minds without compromising its uniqueness. 

All that to say, this book was simply a pleasure to read.  While I may not venture back to it again and again, I am happy to have divulged in this work of fiction for the past three days.  The heroine, Marianna, was a character I easily admired and loved.  Once I got past the opening (and potentially cheesy) scene of her “twirling” in the field, I quickly found her endearing.  She is humble, naive, and honest in a complex world of titles, money, and traditions.  Like a breath of fresh air, you can’t help but find vigor in her perspective of life.  Themes of family, coming of age, and love weaved throughout the novel and kept me very intrigued.  Yes, of course, there was a male interest in Marianna’s story, but their relationship is a sweet complement to her own quest of self-discovery.  The many conflicts she finds herself in (which include all categories sans man vs. nature, bless her heart) resolve by the novel’s end, which I am always thankful to find, as I have never been a fan of the whole “interpret the ending yourself” thing. (I’m still scarred by you, Inception.)

While I may not recommend this book to my husband (who only reads non-fiction) or to people who prefer a thrilling or epic plot, I do recommend it to those of you who enjoy a heart warming read on a lazy day.  If you can appreciate prose filled with carriage rides, chaperones, inheritances, masquerade balls, and other matters of the like, you will surely enjoy this read.  Bravo, Julianne, I think Jane Austen just might be grateful for your willingness and success at capturing the beauty of this time period and gracefully depicting it to those of us who don’t know the early 19th century denotation of a “lady”.  

From: Paige




No comments:

Post a Comment