Saturday, March 29, 2014

To: Mother Nature

(Actually written: Feb. 2, 2014) 

I did not read the Farmer’s Almanac this year (or any year, for that matter), but I wonder if it predicted a cold winter.  If so, that thing is on the money.   Maybe it’s because now I stay at home with a young child and the weather effects much of the day, but I feel this has been a cold winter for those of us here in Texas.  Lots of school closings, many days in below freezing weather, several threats of the dreaded “wintry mix”, and minimal sunshine.  Texans aren’t equipped to handle all of these things for a few days, much less a few weeks.  Yet, here we are again…going on another week where the cold weather threatens our plans and causes everyone to stay indoors.

Stay indoors?  You ask.  Yes, it is what we Texans have to do during these icy and cold days.  At best, our adaptability to the cold is laughable and our gear is a joke.  I know this to be true and have experienced first hand many times.  Playing in the snow SOUNDS like a fun idea, until you remember it’s actually ICE, and you spend the duration outside walking like a moron for fear of falling.  A photo opp with the white background is a must, until you discover your three pairs of socks, fuzzy gloves, hoodie sweatshirt and NorthFace fleece REALLY don’t do the trick. 

Here are some photos of failed winter gear on Molly.  Take note of the following:  fleece pajamas with mary jane shoes, my gloves, her dad's hat, & a fleece zebra blanket.  Seriously, Paige?  I can almost hear that breeze laughing at us.





I know all of this, yet, I was lured back into the tundra last week.  However, this time I did not come empty-handed.  Nope.  This time I came bearing my 17 month old daughter.  She’s young and fearless, right?  Her zeal for life and new experiences should be off the charts, right?  Ha, spoken like a true new mom.  Let’s just say all that “zeal” never made it past the backdoor threshold. 


Here's how our venture in the snow progressed. . .

"What's all this white stuff on the ground?"

"Why are you taking my picture?  It's freezing out here.  I'm not so sure about this..."

"Okay, this is a bad idea.  Even my Burt's Bees can't bring me comfort."

"Get me out of here!!  This outfit is dumb, and I can't feel my fingers."



So, we’ll just stay inside and read another book or work on another puzzle.  No need to prove anything else to you, ol’ Mother Nature.  You win this one.  And probably any other time we will attempt to compete. 

From: Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment