Saturday, April 5, 2014

To: Readers of Sleepy Fiction



The Watershed Year by Susan Schoenberger
Book Review #3

Hmm… I’ll say, unlike this author, I am at a loss for words.  The premise of this story was tragic and lovely: a young professor loses her best friend and sets out to adopt a son all in the same year.  Sounds like the perfect breeding ground for a story of a broken heart mended, a nightmare turned dream-land, an ache overshadowed by a great love, and the miracle of new life redeeming the loss of another.  I thought I had it figured out but was still intrigued enough to read for the details.

Susan Schoenberger is a extremely gifted writer.  Her research and detail piqued my interest on so many levels.  I was immediately catapulted into the world of Lucy and her unique profession: college professor and expert on saints.  As in Mary Magdalene is the patron saint of repentant sinners and Saint Apollonia is the patron saint of toothaches.  Exactly.  Interesting, I thought.   

Well, about halfway through the novel, I started to dread that I had thought wrong.  I loved Lucy.  Wished she was a friend of mine.  However, the Lucy we meet at the beginning of the book who is saddened by her friend’s death, is the same one we watch adopt a son from Russia, and the same one we say goodbye to at the book’s conclusion.  The raincloud never seems to fade from her perspective of life, and now she has a four year old son living under it.  I’m not sure if there’s a saint in history that says that’s a good idea.  I’m a parent, and though my daughter adds so much to joy and grace to life, there aren’t many things she can really fix.  Because like the rest of us, even babies are incapable of perfection. 

I don’t want to downplay the writing style or the excellent supporting characters of the book, but I finished this book feeling very “blah”.  Lucy doesn’t grow.  Her “watershed year” seemed sad, stressful, and busy…not really the recipe for progress when it’s never combatted with truth, change, or joy.  I kept anticipating a huge breakthrough or a riveting scene where her walls crash down, but all I got was her crying over her friend and a bizarre/unrealistic adoption story. 

All in all, this was a well written novel, but I just couldn’t connect with it.  I don’t just read to improve my vocabulary, because if I did, this one would be clutch.  I read to grow, to be challenged, to be amazed.  And, like two polar ends of a magnet, I just never adhered to the storyline.  However, as S.E. Hinton once wrote, “just because it ain’t your bag, don’t’ knock it.”  So, I don’t intend to… this could very well be a book someone adores (just check out all the Amazon reviews).   I’m just not that girl.  But, I guess, I’m really not that at a loss for words… ;)

From:  Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment