Friday, April 11, 2014

To: The Injured Bird in Our Backyard

Yesterday morning was a normal one.  Daniel had left for work.  Stella (our lab) was on her third nap.  Molly and I were in the playroom, and I was either teaching her Spanish or prime numbers, I can’t really remember.  (And by “Spanish or prime numbers” I really mean: I was following behind her as she walked around the house, pointing and grunting at things that look appealing to her.  “No, that’s not for Molly” or “Sure, you want to play with my make up?  Here ya go.”  Clearly, I only have one child.)

Anyway, we were immersed in our morning activities when a loud thud pounded into our living room window.  It jolted Stella from her nap and spooked me.  It was a loud noise that sent my instincts into overdrive.  Instincts that caused me to swoop Molly up in my arms and run right into the backyard, the place the crash occurred.  Hmm…maybe I should work on those instincts.  Thank goodness we weren’t being robbed.  ("Oh, hello, are you trying to break in or something?!")

That’s when I saw it:  a poor bird hopping around in our backyard.  He had obviously mistaken our back windows for a clear flying path.  (Proof that Wal-Mart window cleaner is just as productive as Windex.)  I watched as he tried to fly but never reached higher than a couple of feet.  My heart broke.  What do you when an injured bird finds itself in your backyard?  I have no idea.  However, Molly and Stella had come outside with me, so I did know what I could do for this bird that found itself injured in my backyard:  PROTECT IT FROM THE BABY & DOG.

It was like both of them became instantly obsessed with the little bird...for two very different reasons.  Molly probably wanted to pet/hug/poke/squeeze the bird.  Stella, well, she probably wanted to do what any hunting breed dog would do with a hurt bird: lick its wound and nurse it back to health.  Err…or maybe the complete opposite.  So, the morning quickly became all about the bird.  (We can easily save those Spanish flashcards for another morning.) 

I brought "Birdie" (original, huh?) a bowl of water, even though I didn’t really know if that was helpful.  Molly pointed and watched.  Stella drooled and watched.  And that’s when it happened:  Stella and Molly bonded over an injured bird. 

Recap of the past 19 months:  Stella has always been a sweet and patient dog where Molly is concerned, and Molly has always been...well, mildly obsessed with Stella.  Their relationship has always been a bit one sided, to say the least.  I have tried explaining to Molly the art of playing “hard to get”, but she just flings herself onto Stella one more time.  Stella lays there for a bit to appease us then quickly grows tired of Molly's attention and walks away…leaving a giggly baby in her wake.  See, Molly can’t even read the non-verbal cues Stella is constantly sending.       


Here are photos from the last 19 months of their "friendship".  Take note of Stella’s face in…well, all of them.  Is that love or tolerance?

Molly:  This is awesome.  What happens if I pull on her ear?
Stella:  What have I become?

Molly:  Can you make this noise?  "Ahhh!"
Stella:  Why are you yelling in my face?

Molly:  Look, I can crawl on all fours, just like you.
Stella:  Is this a nightmare?

Molly:  Aww, Stella, aren't we best friends?
Stella:  Did you seriously just wake me up from my nap?

Molly:  Look!  I found your nasty soccer ball.  Let's play fetch!
Stella:  Maybe if I don't acknowledge her, she'll get the hint.

Molly:  Can I practice my trick riding on you, Stella?
Stella:  I've hit a new low.


So, yesterday Stella found herself on the same playing field with Molly.  They both wanted the bird, and I wouldn’t let either of them have it.  They found themselves on the same team, and don’t think Molly didn’t capitalize on the situation. 

As I was setting out the water for Birdie, here was a snapshot of my audience.  They both had strict instructions to “sit and stay.” 



I set the bowl of water down, take a photo of Birdie…


…And walk back to find this happening… (Please don’t judge the riding lawn mower or trailer.  Repairing both of them has been on Daniel’s “Honey Do List” for about two years now.  I guess when you park something in the unseen corner of your backyard it sends it to the bottom of that list.)


Molly had crawled over to set up shop next to Stella.  I sat behind them to capture the moment.  I figured I had only a few seconds before Stella would resituate herself.  However, I was wrong.  The two of them sat like this for several minutes, just watching Birdie. 

Molly:  It's okay, Stella.  Mama will eventually let us play with Birdie, I just know it.
Stella:  You should keep asking her.  I know she'll give in to you before she would me.

Molly:  Want me to keep scratching your back while we wait here?
Stella:  Umm, sure.  Yea, right there.  That feels nice.  


It was, for lack of a better word, sweet.  A bond was formed.  A partnership was created.  And, maybe, just maybe, Stella let some of her walls melt away.  I guess we’ll see what today brings.  When that first pull of the tail or clawing of the coat occurs, we’ll see how Stella responds.  Will she remember the moments they spent yesterday, yearning for Birdie together, or will she just begrudgingly endure it for a few seconds and walk away again?  Time will tell...

So, Birdie, don't think I have forgotten about you as I watch this friendship blossom.  I am still sad you are hurt, but thanks for giving my two daughters something to enjoy together.  I guess you could call it a silver lining.  I promise I will continue to keep them (and Daniel with his pellet gun) away as your little wing heals.  It's the least I can do... or should I also go buy some bird food or something?

From: Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment